Monday, September 9, 2013

Zinester Interview: Adrian Pijoan, Cat Mariner

ABQ Zine Fest is FOUR WEEKS AWAY! From now until the fest, we’ll be highlighting some of the zinesters exhibiting at The Tannex, The Tan, and Small Engine Gallery on Saturday, October 5th. NEXT: Adrian Pijoan

Adrian_Pijoan
Please tell us about the zines you’ll be tabling at ABQZF!
I’m a cartoonist with a background in ecology, so most of my zines are nonfiction comics about ecology and conservation. Sometimes I’ll approach other subjects, like science fiction, or why Garfield sucks. I also have a comic I draw about a lovesick cat, “Cat Mariner.”
How long have you been writing zines, and how did you get started?
I’ve been making zines for two years, I got started by taking workshops at the Sequential Artists Workshop in Gainesville, Florida.
What do you say when someone asks you, “What are zines?”
I say, “the best thing ever!” and then I say that they’re self-published pamphlets or books that are traded, sold, and given away usually by rad people.
Roughly how many zines do you archive in your personal collection?
You mean how many as in number? I don’t think I can count that high. Having recently moved I’d say my zine collection is about 20-40 pounds, though.
Do you have a zine crush? If so, are you willing to reveal the object of your zine affection?
Bill Brown and his zine Dreamwhip. He’s like an artist who goes around sketching everything he sees, except instead of sketching he writes. Also I’m always impressed by the way he shows his internal, emotional experiences through descriptions of place rather than just talking endlessly about himself — I could go on and on about the reasons I crush on Bill Brown. Oh yeah, he also has really great handwriting, which makes his zines even more of a pleasure to read.
What’s the most challenging thing about zine making?
COLLATING. Well — it’s not challenging, but every time I’m collating a new zine, I promise myself I’m never going to make another. But I’ve put out 13 so far, so it’s a promise I’ve broken many times.
What do you enjoy most about making zines?
The sense of community and camaraderie; getting to meet good people and read their perspectives on things.
AP_Sequential_Artists





Thanks, Adrian!
CLICK HERE to find out more about the Sequential Artists Workshop in Gainesville, Florida
Photos by Sally Cantirino  and Geoffry Mason.

No comments:

Post a Comment