Sunday, October 4, 2015

ZINESTER Interview with: SHELBY CRISWELL

We're back ! Just over about a week to go, folx!  Next in our zinester interview series we'll hear from Shelby Criswell!



Please tell us about the zines you’ll be tabling at ABQZF.


 A lot of my work revolves around trans issues and just being a human in general. I will have a table full of comix ranging from cute to funny and serious to "Oh shit, I need to shut up and listen to what this person has to say."

When did you make your first zine, and what was it about?


I made my first zine when I was six years old. My dad was a graphic designer so he helped me format the book and print them. They were just a bunch of drawings of my family and bands that I enjoyed like (don't laugh) Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach.



Do you have a zine crush? If so, are you willing to reveal the object of your zine affection?

 Rebecca Artesmisa's super rad fold out zines are sooooo pretty! I wish I had the ability and patience to sit down and make all of those. The fortune teller fold out zine is definitely my fav!



What's the most challenging thing about zine making? What do you enjoy most about the process?

 I think the most challenging is formatting the book to print right and folding them just perfect, which is also the most tedious part of the whole process. It makes me want to throw up and poop my pants at the same time. But after making them for so long, it kind of comes naturally and folding 200 zines in one sitting becomes a breeze. I enjoy thinking of a concept for a book. I probably have a notebook with thousands of zine/comic ideas that I have never even got close to making and most likely never will.


Name three influences in your life that have affected your work, or even how you work.

My grandfather is for sure the first influence I had, just on my artwork in general because he was an illustrator for Hallmark and I always aspired to be a great cartoonist like him. I can also attribute the other two influences on my zine/comic work to Daniel Clowes whose strange comics made me want to illustrate my own stories and the wonderful people over at Bitch Media because they informed me on a lot of issues and inspired me to talk about them.



What do you say when someone asks you,  "What are zines?"

 Arts and farts, man.


Why are zines important?

 Publicity. Art for art's sake. Activism. Farts. Poetry. Cuteness/Kawainess. Showing the world you're a groupie. Fame. For being awesome. Communication. Having Senpai notice you.




Thank you, Shelby! 

No comments:

Post a Comment