Friday, October 9, 2015

ZINESTER Interview with RHEA TEPP of LA Zine Fest

This Rhea Tepp. Her name matches her might. Zinester, zine fest organizer, musician and artist. In fact Rhea will be performing with her band, Coastal Doom, tomorrow night at the ABQ Zine Fest After-Happening  Let's meet Rhea.

Please tell us about the zines you’ll be tabling at ABQZF.



I am bringing a selection of primarily Los Angeles based zines that are available at the local bookstore I work at. Most of the zines I will be tabling were created by artists and writers who have participated in previous L.A. Zine Fest events. I'll also have a couple of my own zines to share and my band will be playing the after party at the Tannex!


When did you make your first zine, and what was it about?


My first zine was an advice column told through a mini comic, called Quick Fix. I created it as a way to write about issues that are emotionally difficult through humor and simple illustrations. I think it helped me more than anyone else!


Name three influences in your life that have affected your work, or even how you work.


The necessity to disappoint and be disappointed, Letters to a Young Poet, my best friend. 




What do you say when someone asks you,  "What are zines?"


Little pieces of power.


Do you have a zine crush? If so, are you willing to reveal the object of your zine affection?


Tiny Splendor's work is so beautifully detailed, clever, timeless and amazing! They always put so much work into what they do but make it appear effortless. My dream would be to collaborate with them some day. 


What's the most challenging thing about zine making? What do you enjoy most about the process?


The most challenging is working through the fears that would prevent me from finishing a zine and getting to that place where I'm putting something out that I feel good about, but am not super attached to, because sometimes, by the time something is released, you've move past that point creatively. I enjoy that moment right after you've been writing and writing for the sake of getting started and you finally get into that rhythm of momentum when you trust an idea and are moving forward. It's the best feeling! 



Why are zines important?


Zines are little pieces of power. Zines are not just the object. Zines are your communicated imagination. Zines are little magic worlds within a big beast of the one we were born into. Zines are community. Zines are lifelong friendships. Zines are reminders that everything is temporary. Zines are reminders that no idea is useless. 



Thank you, Rhea! 


No comments:

Post a Comment